Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Shogo and Halloween

Shogo is the name of the Japanese exchange student we hosted for a week. This is the 3rd time we have hosted a junior high aged boy from Osaka Japan. They come with over 200 students from their school and stay the week. This year it was over Halloween so we had plenty of activities to entertain him with. They do not celebrate Halloween in Japan so you wonder what they think about all of this. At first he appeared to not really be able to speak English but later on I think he gained confidence and spoke much more than we thought he could. I think they are extremely shy and this is a really hard thing for them.
He is in the ping pong club at his school. Here he is playing with David, Caroline and some friends.
Shogo went to school one day and got to follow David around to his classes. Here they are doing homework.
We always carpool with other neighbors that have exchange students as well. I took all of the boys to Walmart to shop one afternoon. Here they are trying on hats.
Here's David all dressed up for school. He doctored his space suit and went as a ghostbuster with his friend Weston. They had fun creating their power packs.

Caroline went as a mime. Can I tell you how hard it is to find the perfect shirt? Well, we did in the end but boy did I visit a lot of stores!

Katie went as Pocahontas. The Sadie Hawkin's dance was over this Halloween weekend so the kids in her group dressed up as Disney couples. I will blog that event as soon as she gets her pictures.
We took Shogo out for pizza before the BYU basketball game.
Wow! check out my sweet parking spot! I still can't believe it myself. You can see the doors of the Marriott center right behind us. nice.
David and Shogo at halftime.
We went bowling the next day at BYU and played arcade games also.
Our friends the Hoyal's came too with their exchange student.
David with a nice one!
Caroline's wind up.
Katie was on her day date for Sadie's so she didn't come. Do you like my Halloween costume this year? Maybe I already commented on this from Lisa's party. Orange trick or treat t-shirt.
After bowling we went to in-and-out burger. You have to take these kids to all of the American haunts to experience it all!
David, Caroline, Shogo(vampire), and friends trick or treating.
Kids crazy for candy!
The next day we took three of the exchange students to the Tabernacle choir broadcast.
They sang "O, Divine Redeemer". Wow. It was amazing. That is my all time favorite MoTab choir song!
The last day or two Shogo was here he really warmed up and was less shy. The kids had so much fun with him!

No comments: