Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving in St. George

This year for Thanksgiving we went to St. George with Nelson's family. It was decided that we would eat out, as in a restaurant, as in not cooking all of our traditional favorites, as in no leftovers.   Well, I wasn't so sure about this but it is difficult to cook the meal of all meals in a new kitchen that might not have everything you need/want, etc. so I was willing to give it a try.  We drove down Wednesday night and found a very comfortable and welcoming room with an adjoining bathroom.  Each family had a room but the kids just wanted to sleep on the recliners in the theater.  Katie had bronchitis so she got her own air mattress in the library, no one to bother her or visa versa.  The kids had an absolutely fabulous time.  They played xbox, risk, pool, watched movies, swam in the pool, hot tubbed, and ate a lot of treats they don't usually get at home.  Everything had been prepared before we got there.  Groceries were all bought and meals planned.  Thanks so much Oranee (and Lisa)!! 
 Thursday morning we went for a hike since, well, there was no food to prepare.  Already I was liking this.  

 This is the hike to Johnson's arch.  The trailhead is just before the entrance booth to Snow Canyon.  It was a new hike for us and very beautiful.

 We went back to the house and got dressed for dinner.  So weird to not be cooking, have I mentioned that?  We ate at the Entrada buffet, that's where Chuck and Oranee's house is.  Here we are in the buffet line with a couple of extra strangers posing in the back.  The food was great!  And a buffet!? I think I went back for shrimp a few times.  There was the traditional foods and a few other not so traditional ones.

 They put us in our own room which was nice.  It made it seem more like Thanksgiving since we weren't sitting with strangers.  
 The view from our room was spectacular!  It's hard to do it justice without a super wide angle to see it all.

 Trying to get a picture with my girls...
 ...ok, tickling maybe isn't working...
 ...love it!
The next day we tried another new hike.  Don't ask me where this one was... 
 The petroglyphs were really cool.

 This hike wasn't as beautiful on the way there and back but you can't have it all.
 Nelson in the famous I-think-I-might-fall-backwards-off-this-cliff photo.
After hiking, the boys went golfing and the girls all went shopping.  It was SO fun!  Shopping in a huge group of girls might seem like it would be difficult but not so.  How great to try something on and have lots of people to tell you how you look.  Oranee gave each girl (including moms) $25 to shop with since that's what they were spending on the boys golfing.  Woohoo, so great!  We went to Old Navy and the outlets.  The super deal of the day was won by Tara with a pair of jeans at Old Navy for 47 cents.  Yep, you heard me right, cents.  Caroline got a super cute wrap around chambray dress from Ralph Lauren for 90% off and some sunglasses for lifeguarding.  Katie and I got sweaters at Eddie Bauer.  Every night we sat in the hot tub, watched movies and ate too much, it was great.  It's not too often as a mom that you get to go somewhere and just feel like you are taken care of and you can just relax and not have anything to do.  It was just what I needed.

No comments: