Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy 18th Birthday Katie!

Happy Birthday Katie!  
Here you are 18 years ago today.  You are so cute!
 Eating with Dad
 Michael and Katie 
 Kaie with Nana
Easter 2007
 Present...How is it that she can look so cute and fun with these things on and then...
... what comes to mind is Yzma(emperors new groove) , and Professor Trelawny.  Not so cute.
 On to the birthday girl again.  Sis. Cox put up this happy sign and balloons in the yard to wish her a good day.  Caroline got the same but I didn't get a picture that day.
Katie loves zebra print anything so I ran across this tutorial online to make a zebra striped cake.  You alternately pour 1/4 cup white and chocolate cake mix in the center of a pan and after baking it makes stripes when sliced, or that's the idea. 

I made 4 round cakes, stacked them and then disguised them with this frosting job.  The stripes were a surprise.
 I really love how the frosting turned out.  It was pretty easy actually, just needed a huge tip.
 Birthday girl with her cake
 Both the girls with their cakes.
 I was out of town for Caroline's birthday party and she had asked to have ice-cream sundaes so there was no cake picture.  Also, since I was out of town, no one thought to take even one picture from her party, so sad!
 Katie blowing out the candles.
 It's hard to see the insides well but it didn't turn out as great as the picture online.  Not a huge surprise but I do think there is some skill involved which could be improved with experience.  Although, I don't know if that will happen....not too many zebra cake occasions to practice on.
Caroline had a cookie monster moment with her cake.
Katie and her friends eating cake.  Orem won state in basketball this year and they all came over after the game for a movie and cake.  What a fun day!  I love you Katie, you're awesome!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is really a beautiful cake! for a beautiful gal! happy birthday katie dear! with lots of love from your pageant mom.

Anonymous said...

Yeah... I am going to have to copy that!

Ellen said...

How in the world did you do that frosting. It's absolutely gorgeous, just like your beautiful daughter. Thanks for reading my blog. No one else does!